Periodontal Disease Treatment (Gum Disease)
Harriman Family Dental provides periodontal services for all stages of gum disease to restore your oral health. Gum disease is a serious condition that can affect anyone.
Don’t Suffer From Late-Stage Gum Disease
At Harriman Family Dental, we specialize in periodontal services and believe in using the most innovative treatments available. From scaling and root planing to more advanced laser treatments, we can treat any stage of periodontal disease. You may be suffering from periodontal disease if you’ve experienced any of these symptoms:
- Are your gums overly sensitive?
- Do your gums bleed while brushing or flossing?
- Do you have chronic bad breath?
- Do your teeth feel loose or moveable?
- Is your gum line receding visibly?
- Do you suffer from frequent toothaches?
If the thought of treatment makes you anxious, you can receive dental sedation to make sure you feel at ease and that your procedure is pain-free all the way through. You don’t have to wait until you see the telltale signs of early-stage gum disease (commonly called gingivitis). Instead, be proactive and come see us at Harriman Family Dental for a routine exam and gum disease treatment.
LANAP® Laser Treatment For Gum Disease
LANAP® (Laser-Assisted New Attachment Procedure) is an exciting technology designed to stop – and reverse – advanced periodontitis and severe symptoms of gum disease. At Harriman Family Dental in Harriman, NY, our certified LANAP® -trained doctors can halt your gum inflammation and stop periodontitis before it turns into a serious health problem. LANAP® is an FDA-approved treatment for late-stage gum disease that offers a quicker, more effective, and less painful alternative, compared to traditional cut-and-sew treatments. The pros of LANAP® treatment include:
- Lasting results in just one treatment
- Laser precision protects healthy soft tissue
- 100% non-invasive
- Virtually pain-free
- Far superior to cut-and-sew gum disease treatment
- Accelerates growth of new gum tissue
- Limits and prevents bone recession
At Harriman Family Dental, Dr. Sherif Radwan is a LANAP® -certified dentist who will work with you personally to stop chronic gum disease and eliminate periodontitis. Schedule an appointment with Dr. Radwan today!
What are the signs of periodontal disease or gum disease?
The earliest sign of periodontitis is an irritated gum line that might cause discomfort or bleeding when you brush, floss, or have your teeth cleaned professionally. If not treated, the gums will start to retract and pull away from the teeth. This creates spaces between the teeth and gums called periodontal pockets that can fill with harmful bacteria. Your dentist will measure the depths of these pockets to determine how far the condition has spread and what treatment is necessary. If gum disease makes its way to the jawbone and the connective tissues of teeth, the jawbone can deteriorate, and teeth can be lost.
What causes gum disease?
There are three common causes of gum disease. The first and most common is chronic periodontitis. This occurs when oral hygiene is neglected and bacteria accumulate beneath the gum line, eventually turning into a hard substance called tartar. Tartar is not easily removed by brushing and flossing and requires professional cleaning. If left untreated the gums become inflamed and damaged and bone loss occurs.
The second cause is aggressive periodontitis, this is believed to be a genetic condition as it shows up in a small number of families. It moves quickly and can even be seen in children.
The last and the rarest cause is necrotizing periodontal disease. This can occur in people with immune issues and or chronic diseases. The soft tissue and bone are compromised because of a lack of blood flow.
How do you treat gum recession?
At Harriman Family Dental, gum recession is treated in multiple ways, including:
- Medication: If an infection is found in the gums, antibiotics may be prescribed. Topical antibiotics can include antibiotic mouth rinse or gels containing medicated relief. Other medications may also be used to treat the underlying problem that is causing gum recession.
- Gum grafting: Our team can remove a small amount of healthy soft tissue either from the roof of your mouth, from in front of any teeth that already have disproportionate gum coverage, or from another donor source, and attach it to the area where your gums have receded.
- Pinhole® Surgical Technique: Pinhole Surgical Technique (PST™) is the minimally invasive alternative to traditional gum grafting. During this procedure, instead of incising the gum tissue, a small “pinhole” is created above the tooth. Next, a special instrument is inserted, and the gum tissues are repositioned back over the tooth. Collagen strips are then placed to help secure the tissues in a healthier and more esthetic position over each tooth. Finally, the tissues are gently sutured in place to aid in proper healing.
What is crown lengthening?
Our crown lengthening in Harriman, NY has both esthetic and functional purposes. While many patients seek treatment for cosmetic concerns, we provide treatment for a gummy smile to promote oral health, too. Excessive gum tissues can harbor bacterial plaque underneath, increasing the risk for tooth decay and infection. Our dentists have the expertise to determine the cause of your condition and consider both the functional and esthetic aspects of your treatment.
If you have more questions about periodontal disease treatment in Harriman, NY, give us a call and we will be happy to discuss further. For existing patients, please book your appointment through our online scheduling linked below. New patients should use the button below to fill out a Request Appointment form.